Friday, March 6, 2009

Storyboards

So yesterday I went in front of a class of about 30-35 students and told my story in Chinese. Not only did I feel like I've embarrassed myself but also a dumbass.
When I told it to them, I thought I did a pretty good job in explaining everything. Apparently not...After I had told them my story the only thing they told me was,

"You should think about it more."

What kind of a fucked up crit is that? They gave everyone else a decent fucking crit and then the only thing they say to me is that I need to think about it more. I was up there for 2 minutes.

I think it's because I'm not an "actual student" so they don't really care about me.

But, it's quite alright. I'm hanging out with a bunch of MFA's for animation and another teacher who is in a standard of Doctors degree in media arts. (or something like that.) And he's worked on many commercials, films, and animations. So, I am making him my mentor. He gave me a very good crit about my animation and told me suggestions and what not, along with the MFA's.

The story:
A man lives in his apartment alone and his apartment slightly alters reality.
So essentially he deludes himself of reality.
He wakes up and hears the alarm radio and it says, "today it will be sunny and bright!" just telling the weather.
The man gets up and turns off the radio and decides to make coffee, however the outside is raining, of course he doesn't notice and goes along with his day.
He makes coffee and decides to read the newspaper and the newspaper says "The economy is great" and from an outside view you see a whole mess of things, garbage on the street, ruined buildings and everything.

There is this last part i need to figure out which is why some of the boards are blank.

He then receives a letter saying his mother has died, a point of reality that has actually hit him.
He is in disbelief and throws the letter on the ground.
The letter then turns his whole apartment back into reality. Not depressing or anything, just a wake up call.

End.






This story isn't about the man, it's his surroundings.
Ah, i need some input...so if you have an idea that i should do for the last part (not conclusion) that would be awesome.
K fankz. <3

5 comments:

Hannah said...

man, those china kids are jerks. also. copy pastedddd:

it has a kind of similar rhythm throughout, like "it's sunny, no it's not" "economy is great, no it's not" and maybe if you flip one of those, it'll just keep things from getting ummmm not repetitive but similar?? like show the crappy economy and apartment zoom first? then maybe deal with the newspaper headline later after he wakes up?

just play with the sequencing. i really like the idea of the story though, and it also seems like a very simple way of presenting a complex idea, which is a good thing. WAY TO GO, DCHAO.

Hannah said...

OH I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING. if you establish the crappy reality to begin with, it's a lot easier for the viewer to understand that your character is ignoring it and projecting his own false reality.

okay done.

// SPM said...

dont let the commies get to you. they hate freedom. they will try to break you. but your spirit is strong and vigilant.

you are....


the Dchao.

Anonymous said...

Just because they might not take you as seriously because you're a transfer doesn't mean you shouldn't take this experience seriously.

Seriously! haha!

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.