Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Animation is also exersise.

Does everyone remember what my school looks like? If not let me remind you.



Sooo, at MCAD we have the tiny, tiny, tiny animation studio where the capture stand is at your convenience, the light tables are there, and the MAC computers are huge and beautiful. We also have a elevator, though it is slow, sometimes it's nice to ride on it.

Here we have 2 #4 buildings (It's just the 2 animation buildings) to do animation, but only about 3 classrooms to do it all in. No one ever knows where the capture stand is and the hole punch along with the computers. Lol.

I work in the 3rd building on the 3rd floor with the interns and awesome professor wei. (soon it will be back on the 1st floor)

CAA doesn't have any elevators in the school, or at least in the buildings that I'm in because they are media based.

I have to run from the 3rd building on the 3rd floor and go up to the 4th building on the top floor which is the 5th floor and get the key to use the capture stand and run all the way down to the 2nd floor for probably a second or 2 of animation and run all the way back up the stairs and return the key. Lol. Then go back to my studio. Luckily today, I just used the one on the 5th floor.

They also use this program called CPT which is PC based, so I can't capture and keep my pencil tests because I have an apple computer.

So I have to use my memory to remember which frames are slow and what I need to change, etc, etc.

Now I am VERY thankful of MCAD even though I still think the animators get the shitty part of the deal at the school, I am very thankful that we have MACS, light tables, stop motion studio, blah blah blah. That is not scattered all over the place and have programs that I understand.

At the same time, it feels like a fucking boot camp art school, they have loud music to wake you up for class, and you have to go and exercise at 6 am (Thank god I'm an international student, otherwise I would have to participate in that), gates close at 11 and if you are out by that time you can't get in or vise versa.
I feel trained in animation that I would never even have imagined.

Basically, because I am not handed everything I want like I can get at MCAD, I have to use other ways of animating. It's sweet, kind of makes me feel like I can animate ALL THE TIME. Ahhh, who doesn't want that? Ha...

On the bright side, at least I'm getting a lot of exercise.
And perhaps appreciating MCAD a little more. <3

5 comments:

// SPM said...

"So I have to use my memory to remember which frames are slow and what I need to change, etc, etc. "


....its called pen and paper kiddo.

Dchao said...

GAHHHAHAHHAHA. Smartass

Bethy said...

boot camp art school! man i dotn knwo what i would do if i had to exercise at 6am...actually it might be good? whateves. this is good though, when you are done here you wont be as scared of graduating cause you will have learned how to animate without mcad!

Owen Dennis! said...

Exercise.

jenny. said...

yes, BRIGHTON MAKES ME APPRECIATE MCAD too. school here is only open until 8pm. and we have to pay for b/w prints!! just to name a few, ha.